Welcome

Welcome to "Our Life"

Sunday, October 13, 2013

41 Degree's and Raining

Hi There,
   It is Sunday afternoon. It is 41 degree's and has been raining for about 18 hours straight. It has been raining off and on for a few days now. I have been working on the shop, in the rain and temps for a while but today I just can't make myself do it.
   The shop pilings and floor are built. The foundation is solid and I am really happy with the progress so far. Myra has a couple of pictures to add later. (There I added them!) I will begin preparing lumber for the side walls in the next day or so and then will begin building them. First I have to do things like haul water and finish putting stuff away outside before the snow comes.
   We did a fair amount of outside clean up yesterday as the forecast was for colder temps and snow. Now the Jet Stream shifted and the temps have gone up. We did get about 1/2" of snow a couple of days ago and it was wet and sloppy. It has obviously all melted now.
   We have brought all items into the cabin. Myra went through the last of the tote's and did the final sorting of things. She still has a few little things to put away from that adventure but for the most part, we are totally moved in.
    The intention was to have the cabin completely remodeled before we moved in but as all things in the bush, the remodel is taking longer than we had hoped and we had to get stuff in before too much snow. Not only that but we were not planning on building a shop when we first got back here. We have decided that the shop has taken precedent over the downstairs remodel. Sense we have cabinets to build and a lot of items that can be done in the shop we decided it was necessary to do it first.


   I still have not made my last trip to the Post Office property for "Freeze Up" preparation. With the current forecast of rain and warmer weather (40s) the river is predicted to rise about 3', so I am still waiting as long as possible.
   I have began playing Racket Ball again, over at Bentalit Lodge 3 to 4 times a week. Since I have lost about 40 lbs in the last year, I am doing much better. It sure is fun, and un-believable that I am able to do something like that out in the middle of the woods. (Thanks Tom and Patty)
   I still have to make repairs on my snowmachine. I have all of the parts here, and have had them since last spring. Why get in a hurry, right? I have to install a new Stator (like an alternator except it is inside the engine) plus rebuild the suspension for the drive track (I have worn it out in 2 seasons) and a few other small repairs need done. This is another reason for the shop needing to be done.
   All of my tools are currently stacked, piled and stored in the wood shed and on the back porch. This is another reason for the shop to get done.
   On another note,,,,, You may be absolutely amazed at what you can order from Amazon. We are finding that to be a great resource to get things out here. They stock an un-believable amount of items and if you order over $25 most items are shipped for free. On our last order here is an example of what we ordered all at one time and coming in one shipment. A 12 volt water pump, garden hose repair ends and couplings, a part for the Paslode nail gun, a new vanity light for the restroom, chain saw bar oil, lamp repair parts, a knob for the percolator, filters and belts for the vacuum, replacement blades for the wood planner, plumbing valves, etc, etc, etc... I find it absolutely amazing that we get all of that stuff from one internet source to the post office and it is less money than at most stores.
   Anyhow, today is one of those days when it can be a struggle to have an appreciation for this place. Overcast, Raining, Fog, no view of anything and just plane rotten outside. Now I have to get on the rain gear and go get water for the storage tanks.
   The water pump is still working but it is getting pretty weak and struggling to build up pressure, that is why we ordered a new one before it goes out completely. Oh, I put distilled water in the batteries today and pumped 4 ea. 5 gallon gas cans full of fuel for the generator. I changed the generator oil and am only doing the necessities of life out here today.
   Myra is experiencing one of those "lazy days" where she managed to cook lunch and play Words with Friends. It's just one of those days here. The stereo is playing and the TV is on "Muted" because there is not anything worth watching and listening to. Have you ever had one of those days????? Tired from working none stop, depressed by the weather, (even though we do very good at not letting it get us down most of the time) and just don't feel like doing a damn thing,,, Well, that is today in a nutshell.
    Time for me to go get water then I am playing Racket Ball at 5.
Thanks for being with us
Even if it's not too damn exciting today,
Talk to you soon,
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment